How often did you think of water before?
Did you know that up to 1 year, our body is 85% water and between 5 and 15 years, 75%? Did you know that with age, the percentage starts to drop to 60%, 55%, and in the final years to 50%?
Another interesting aspect is the 3-3-3 rule: people can survive three weeks without food, three days without water, and three minutes without air. Imagine that, after three days, you perish if you don’t get any water.
Some take it for granted and do not overthink it. Others are more aware and understand its importance because we use water in so many areas: food, drinking, agriculture, construction, transportation, and so many other places.
Water determines if we are healthy or not, and it can also make a difference in our psychology and mindset.
The practice of the everyday cold shower can be of great significance in our lifestyle because it has numerous proven benefits. Furthermore, it can be practiced everywhere and can improve our physical, mental, and emotional state.
Before starting, consult a medical doctor for a qualified opinion. I am not a medical doctor, and I recommend these routines only from my own experience. Even though I read many studies and health books, a specialized opinion should be decisive. Start with this practice only if you are completely healthy and have no medical problems.
When you start doing it for the first time, you have to be aware that it can be overwhelming. Soon you will get used to this sensation and start noticing the benefits. Some of them are obvious and will keep you
motivated; others are individual and different from one to another.
- Energy: those who shower regularly with cold water are not getting sick so often, and if they eventually get sick, the reason is usually an accident, sports injuries or similar. Even if most people look suspiciously to this practice and protect themselves against cold water, those who have this daily routine are more active and full of energy.
- Improves mental strength: taking a cold shower is part of a process that enhances your toughness. Only a mentally strong person will endure the flow of cold water on the skin for a more extended period. Your nervous system will function more intensely, and in a stressful situation, the clarity and self-confidence will increase. There are not too many things left to scare you after you start your day with an icy cold shower.
- Stimulates the immune system: scientific studies indicate that the number of white cells in our body increases by practicing cold showers. These are the cells responsible for protecting our bodies against different diseases. By having a cold shower, the metabolism accelerates, leading to an improvement of the immune system.
- Increases your awareness: an icy cold shower has a powerful revitalizing effect and stimulates the brain’s oxygen level. All these physiological reactions boost the senses, increase the energy from the body, and improve concentration.
- Helps eliminate stress and depression: when exposed to cold water, the senses wake up, the breath changes, and you are more present in the “here and now .” The cold shower acts as a minor form of oxidative stress for our nervous system, and with time, the body will adapt to it. Because of the cold showering, the body will adjust more to stressful situations. The level of uric acid will drop, and the level of glutathione from our blood will increase. Simultaneously, the production of adrenaline and endorphin will rise, the main target being cortisol – the stress hormone.
- Improves blood flow: during a cold shower, the blood flow from our body accelerates. This process is beneficial for the cardiovascular system and can help with arterial pressure and the thickening of the arteries. A complete blood flow to the brain allows optimum performance and keeps you alert for a more extended period.
- Weight loss: when taking a cold shower, the metabolism increases and our body uses more energy. This energy is normally taken from the extra supplies – the fat reserve. Most people don’t know that there are two types of fat in the human body: brown and white fat. White fat is the “bad” one and is the one that people do not like. Brown fat is the “good” fat, generating heat and maintaining the body warm. When we take a cold shower, the brown fat activates, and more calories are burned. As a result, the energy level rises, and the body remains warm.
- Skincare and hair: the cold water can help the skin’s elasticity concomitantly prevent the loss of natural oils. The cold water helps constrict blood vessels to temporarily tighten and close the skin pores, reducing the ingress of impurities in the skin. The hair also benefits from the cold water: the hair loss is reduced because the cuticle will tighten more on your scalp. Likewise, the hair will be more healthy and firm and look more shining.
- Testosterone production: men who regularly practice cold showers benefit from increased testosterone production during contact with the cold water the entire day.
- Financial reasons: if you start taking cold showers, you will also save money by not using large amounts of water. Will this money be enough to make you a millionaire? I don’t think so, but everybody has to start at some point.
By adding such productive habits to your life, you build a healthy body, boost your mindset and get closer to your objectives.
In the end, you will understand that it is only up to you to achieve everything.